#outfitoftheday @mrsmiramenos styling herself without my help, but with #vintage and #designer pieces I’ve acquired for her, including 1980s #blueleather #vintageskirt , 1950s #vintageclutch in grey #suede, #alice+olivia #wedgeshoes . She did well. #lookoftheday #ootd #thrift #thrifted #thrifting #thriftlife #thriftstore #thriftscore #thriftstyle #thriftfashion #leatherskirt #electricblue #streetstyle #thriftshop #instaglam
I got this #vintageaquascutum skirt for @mrsmiramenos originally as a two-piece dress but i couldnt bear to buy the top as much as i couldn’t bear to separate them. They’re called #separates for a reason. #sundaystroll #outfitoftheday #vintage 1980s #aquascutum skirt #charlesdavid heels #moschino bag #fashion #fashionordie #summerfashion #summerstyle #streetstyle #ootd #thrift #thrifted #thrifting #thriftshop #thriftstore #thriftscore #thriftlife #thriftstyle #thriftfashion
#outfitoftheday I styled @mrsmiramenos in a #vintage #courreges jacket and matching bag. It’s a little safety vest meets straight jacket, but it was a rare find from this random warehouse storage sale in #vegas back in January. #andrescourreges #ootd #hyperbolebyandrescourreges #vintagefashion #vintagestyle #fashionhistory #hyperbole #fashionhistoryisarthistory #fashionordie #modfashion #fashionfuturism #modstyle #thrift #thrifted #thrifting #thriftscore #fashiondesigner #thriftshop #thriftstore #thriftstyle
- 1 note
I usually put looks together for my sister that are a combination of things she buys and things I find on my vintage fashion hunts. This head-to-toe outfit is all me. I thrifted this dress for my sister over a year ago, but she hadn’t found a way to wear it. Let’s face it: it’s a dress that’s hard to wear without looking like you’re on your way to a live studio audience taping of The Brady Bunch or Three’s Company. But the weather’s getting better, and I’m on a trench kick.
Technically it’s not a trench coat dress, but the khaki fabric and some of the design details makes me think of this dress as a trench dress. And so it shall be named: trenchdress. I especially like how the maryjane wedges simultaneously update and compliments the look, and the vintage cosmetics bag used as a clutch takes it up a notch on the sophistication meter for a daytime thing.
- Vintage 1970s khaki “trenchdress”
- Marni navy suede platform wedge maryjanes
- Vintage 1980s Gucci toiletries bag (used as a clutch)
Entrenched in a Cape
I wasn’t sure if she would like this double-breasted trench/cape I recently thrifted, but I had to buy it. Mostly because I hadn’t seen this kind of design before, and the costume monger in me wants to put her in as many cape-like objects as possible.
But the clincher was when I saw Cyndi Lauper wearing a (higher end, no doubt) version of it at the 2014 Grammy Awards!
(photo from www.ilballodelcervello.com)
I’m not one of those “get the look for less” stylists, and since I thrifted the cape prior to the airing of the 2014 Grammys, I can say with confidence that this was NOT a bite. Besides, I already did my Cyndi Lauper Sinspiration Post [click here] where I style her inspired by one of my favorite singers of all time.
In theory, double-breasted/cape/trench/cargo pockets really sounds like a bad idea design-wise, but I think this is one of the few moments where it works.
- Bebe olive green cape trench (thrifted)
- Uni-Qlo black long-sleeve top
- H&M black wax-coated jeans
- Prada olive green nylon baguette
- Kenneth J. Lane wrapped core chain statement necklace (thrifted)
- Zara suede cream/maroon/black platform booties
- Vintage sterling silver bangles (thrifted) and sterling silver hoop earrings
One of a series of sweater dresses she owns. You can’t see it here, but it has a deep V in the back, along with this great fishtail-like hem.
- Vintage 1980s floral knit sweater dress
- Rebecca Minkoff bag
- Obsession Rules black and goldtone platform heel booties
Sometimes in my second-hand sourcing travels, I find incomplete treasures. A belt or button might be missing, but its too good to leave behind. Such was the case for the slip of this sheer Anna Sui dress. Given this frigid winter we’ve been having, I figured a good way to wear a slip-less dress would be with pants.
It made me wonder in the future if there will be a such thing as a pantslip. The closest thing we have now are leggings, but girls seem to be wearing them as pants anyway.
Pant slip. Pantslip. Pantslip.
- Anna Sui sheer floral wrap-style dress
- Yves Saint Laurent platform heel loafers
- Theory black pants
- Forever 21 black tank
- Vintage 1980s leather camel clutch with reptileprint detail
- Vintage and contemporary brass, plastic, and wood bangles
- 0 notes
Saturday Stroll: Textured Maxi-Dress
This vintage maxi-dress was perfect for the “warmer but still winter” weather we had this past weekend.
- Vintage 1970s long sleeved knit maxi-dress
- Moschino monogrammed bag
- Calvin Klein cork and orange suede platform heels
- Vintage 1970s Lee Bernay necklace
- Sterling Silver hoops
- Clear acrylic bangles
#Outerwear is just as important in the cold! Vintage and #thrifted #1970shousecoat (converted to outerwear), Vintage and thrifted #1980sbag , #Gap turtleneck, #forever21 leggings, #h&m belt and earrings. #color #pink #refashion #housecoat #winter #winterwear #cold #stylediary #streetstyle #outfit #ootd #wiwt #style #limstreetstyle #fashion #thriftstorefinds #thrifting #secondhandfashion #thrift360 #funfashion #colorful
- Vintage 1980s Diane von Furstenberg purple silk wrap blouse (thrifted)
- Vintage 1980s Escada pleated gray slacks (thrifted)
- Diane von Furstenberg camel hidden platform loafers
- Vintage 1980s gray leather envelope clutch (thrifted)
- Diane von Furstenberg blue sheath dress
- Vivienne Westwood Anglomania for Melissa wedge sandals
- Rebecca Minkoff handbag
- Wood bangle
- Diane von Furstenberg chevron/herringbone print shift dress (thrifted)
- Kenneth Cole black patent leather pumps
- Vintage 1960s tin/acrylic handbag (thrifted)
- H&M metallic bib necklace
- Metallic wire-wrapped agate cuff bracelet
- 3 notes
Embargowatch: Lace it up!
Lace is out there, and will always be. More so for formal occasions, but we’ve been seeing it worn more casually, like back in the 1980s. Here’s another way to get more use of that formal lace dress: Wear sneakers with it.
- 90’s Gap denim jacket
- 90’s lace dress by Ronnie & Irit Studio
- Cynthia Rowley large bag
- Converse Jack Purcell silver sneakers
My son discovered Dubspot, a DJ/Production school about a year ago. He wanted to go to one of their orientation workshops, so we turned it into a family weekend trip. He was the youngest there, putting into practice what he has learned so far on his own. I wasn’t in the workshop with him, but I know he did extremely well. Dub me proud.
Inspired by the purpose of our visit, I decided to kick it sneaker style. And by kick it, I mean walk. A lot. I’ve been previously warned against “sensible shoes” by a particular stylist brother of mine, so sneakers were the compromise. Which is fine with me, because I enjoy the look of sneakers with dresses.
- Elie Tahari dress
- Vintage 1980s Carlos Falchi clutch
- Vintage 1980s polka dot earrings and plastic necklace; assorted plastic bangles
- Nike Air Jordan sneakers
Sinspiration: Josh McKinley’s Project Runway Finale Maxi-Dress
This posting was meant to be a regular “stroll” post, but it just occurred to us that this dress we thrifted reminded us of a couple of dresses from Josh McKinley’s Project Runway Season 9 finale collection. Let the record show we thrifted the nightgown and intended to use it a maxi-dress way before the episode aired!
Dresses by Josh McKinley (the Sinspiration):
(photographs from tvguide.com; mylifetime.com)
The unintended interpretation:
- Vintage 1980s nightgown (worn as maxi dress)
- Vintage 1960s Lucite hangbag
- MaxStudio Iliad heels
- Goldtone cuff; vintage necklace, 14K gold stud earrings