High School Reunion
Going to my 20-year high school reunion was unexpected of me. Truth be told, I kind of hated high school. The relentless search for identity. The bullying. The wretched transition period between 80s and 90s fashion (paisley rayon dress shirts? harem pants?). Mira and I were in the same grade since 4th grade, but in high school she was doing her own thing, and rightly so. Then things change for me senior year. I was starting to get myself, I met my bff, 1970s retro fashion was in full swing, and Mira and I began our love affair with vintage fashion.
(The Spindle: 1993 Lowell High School yearbook portrait)
I jokingly asked my bestie L (who lives in FL) if she would come up and go to the reunion. A resounding “hell yes I’d go" was her response, so I was in. Mira wasn’t an immediate yes, but with some coercion, she agreed. My compelling argument? If anything, I can style you and we can make a blog post out of it.
Some people go to these things to brag, some to behave like a 19 year old one more time, and some for curiosity. For me it was a little of all of that. We laughed, we connected, we drank, we danced. There was a raffle to raise funds for the restoration and preservation of a 1930s clock on the exterior of one of the high school’s buildings. As a student of things vintage and historic, I decided to buy one ticket, you know, to participate. The universe vibed on my good intentions and I won a prize!
Otherwise, the food was decent, the music had its high and low moments, and the centerpieces didn’t go with the place settings. The bullies are gone, we are more self-assured and self-confident. And our fashion is on point.
- Zara Man cable knit sweater
- John Varvatos plaid dress shirt
- Nicole Miller black tie
- Kenzo pants
- Kenneth Cole dress shoes
- Cynthia Rowley strapless black dress
- AKRIS silk shrug/bolero
- Vintage 1960s gold clutch (thrifted)
- Bagley Mischka black satin d’orsay high heels
- Vintage 1980s pearl necklace worn as bracelet (thrifted)
Now available @staconsignment 324 Newbury Street, Boston #betseyjohnson wallet, #stuartweitzman high heel loafers, and #ballyshoes for men #fashion #fashionatadiscount #blackfriday #smallbusinesssaturday #newburystreetshopping #secondtimearound (at Second Time Around)
#mukluks #winteriscoming #goodxmasgift #coldfeetnomore
- Vintage 1980s Diane von Furstenberg purple silk wrap blouse (thrifted)
- Vintage 1980s Escada pleated gray slacks (thrifted)
- Diane von Furstenberg camel hidden platform loafers
- Vintage 1980s gray leather envelope clutch (thrifted)
Day four of Diane von Furstenberg sinspiration. DvF meets a yarnbombed boudoir.
- Diane von Furstenberg black pleated wrap dress (thrifted)
- Diane von Furstenberg green suede hidden platform heels
- Vintage 1950s black leather handbag (thrifted)
- Diane von Furstenberg blue sheath dress
- Vivienne Westwood Anglomania for Melissa wedge sandals
- Rebecca Minkoff handbag
- Wood bangle
- Diane von Furstenberg chevron/herringbone print shift dress (thrifted)
- Kenneth Cole black patent leather pumps
- Vintage 1960s tin/acrylic handbag (thrifted)
- H&M metallic bib necklace
- Metallic wire-wrapped agate cuff bracelet
- 3 notes
To us, Diane von Furstenberg is as much a designer as a pop culture icon. We didn’t know much about Diane von Furstenberg, in our youth, other than she was the creator of that great wrap-dress that had come back into fashion in the late 1990s, thanks to the return of 1970s retro. We followed her television appearances on America’s Next Top Model, Project Runway, and her unforgettably schmaltzy but beautifully produced television commercial with American Express [click here], which wins the award for best use of a credit card signature. When we read her autobiography (a gift from one of Busco’s friends), our admiration for DvF grew to what it is today.
Diane von FIERCEtenberg, ambassador of accessible glamour.
- Vintage 1980s Diane von Furstenberg silk top (thrifted)
- Diane von Furstenberg naval-style pencil skirt (thrifted)
- Alice + Olivia wedge heels
- Vintage 1970s clutch (thrifted)
- H&M metallic green hoop earrings
My new arrivals @staconsignment 219 Newbury: #burberry #johnvarvatos #cynthiasteffe #nicolemiller #escada jackets and more #cutedresses #karenmillen #sisley available now!! #fallfashion #jacketenvy #fashion #fashionordie (at Second Time Around)
Another #treasuretrove of #thrifted #costumejewelry including #katespade #jcrew and #vintagejewelry #vintage #getyourdragon #fashionordie #necklace
#vintagebooks of #scottishculture inspired by my #throwbacktrip to #scotland with @donnrupp #tbt #greatscotts #tartanisthenewblack #plaid #scottishmythology #scottishsurnames #scottishclans #thrifted #thrifting #thriftshop #thriftstore
2013 #HalloweenCostume, took 1st place prize at work! #chrismarch for Target #foamwig #diy #poodleskirt I made in 2003, #vintage #1950s #thrifted #purse, company front button black shirt, #betseyjohnson #whitebelt . #volume #structure #color #create #creative #sewing #crafts #costume
#thrifted #1950s #blackpurse part of my Halloween costume. #accessory #thriftstore
Recent additions to our #popculturefashion #headpieces by @chrismarch for #targetstores #chrismarch #futurecollectible #happyhalloween #happyhallow #styrofoamgreaser #styrofoammarilyn #wigline
As part of my History of Western Dress course, we were required to find modern designer interpretations of historic elements throughout the years. Looking for Egyptian, Grecian, and Roman influences was a breeze, but the lesser known Minoan, Assyrian, Scythian cultures. (And by lesser known, I mean lesser known to me.) It was harder to find examples, so I turned to Mira’s closet for inspiration of inspiration.
(photo source: Classical Myths in the Arts - Minoan Culture, http://minoanage.blogspot.com/)
As luck would have it, I found a dress that references the tiered layers of ancient Minoan skirts. Since the focus of the look is the dress, I kept the styling simple. As for the fitted bodice with the open bust, I’m not touching that.
- MaxStudio black tiered dress
- MaxStudio mint gladiator heels
- Goldtone cuff and chandelier earrings